Those shatkarma which effect purification of the body are secret (they are a yoga secret.. but honestly needs to be made public for all). They have manifold, wondrous results and are held in high esteem by eminent yogis.
(Hatha Yoga Pradipika 2:23)
Yogic science gives as much importance to certain cleansing processes as it does to asana or pranayama. Without regular cleansing of the system one cannot gain maximum benefit from yoga practices. Without purification of the body one will not be ready for the higher practices of yoga.
Body cleansing is brought about by the practice of the shatkarmas or six purificatory techniques which are very important from the point of view of physical and mental health. These simple techniques are also highly valuable in healing internal disorders. There are six main groups of shatkarmas or yogic cleansers as follows:
1. Neti: nasal cleaning, including jala neti and sutra neti.
2. Dhauti: cleansing of the digestive tract.* I have a virgin hot toddy remedy to use instead of this kriya,which is great as a ‘tonic’ but also excellent care for healing from cold/ flu/ allergy/ cold & wet weather conditions that can affect us….
3. Nauli: abdominal massage. * there are a few of these I can show you during your Yoga Consult at NHA and honestly… everyone needs them. Great for increasing vitality with digestion, abdomen health, postpartum care….
4. Basti: colon cleaning. * I simply recommend ENEMAS. ie. vinegar based and or also wheat grass to absorb extra nutrients internally.
5. Kapalbhati: purification and healing through breath technique
6. Trataka: FIRE GAZING
Each of these groups contains more than one practice, such as jala neti, vaman dhauti (or kunjal kriya), moola shodhana etc. They are all excellent practices designed to purify the whole body and bring about first-class health. They also bring clarity and harmony to the mind.